Tri Valley Lodge #148

Lodge history


The history of the present Lodge really comprises the history of two Lodges, Oneida No. 270 and Canastota No. 231.

On June 22, 1852, Oneida Lodge received its Charter from Grand Lodge. Lucious Brooks served as the first Master of the Lodge. From 1852 until 1926, the Lodge rented rooms for meetings in various buildings in the town of Oneida. In 1926, the Lodge constructed its own building at 230 Main Street, where it remained for 58 years until the Lodge building sold. Under the guidance of George Harper and Herbert Linstruth, a building was constructed at 611 Stone Street on a lot donated by Mrs. Russell Johnston. The members and their families paid the entire cost of the construction. The first meeting in that new building took place in December 1984.

On june 21, 1851, Canastota Lodge received its Charter from Grand Lodge. No records exist from 1851 to 1860. In 1860, Harrison Frank was elected Master before being mustered in as a second lieutenant in Company G of the 157th Infantry on August 29, 1862. Brother Frank was killed at Gettysburg on July 1 1863. Frank's Masonic funeral was the largest on ever held in Madison County.

The Lodge rented space in various buildings in Canastota from 1851 to 1911. The Lodge purchased a building on Peterboro Street and renovated it for use as a Masonic facility. The first meeting took place in 1912, when George E. Robinson was Master. The Lodge moved one more time to Chapel Street, where it remained until merging with Oneida Lodge No. 270 in 1994.